Digital Marketing means to promote your business, services or products on the internet using your phones, laptops or any other electronic gadget. Business owners use all the available digital channels like Search Engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing), Social media (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube), Emails and websites to reach the potential leads and future customers.
“Digital Marketing” is also referred to as “Online marketing”, or “Internet Marketing”. Since everything is being digitized out there, there is a need for you to get involved in this digitization process too. To know the latest Digital Marketing Trends, you can read this blog Digital Marketing Trends in 2020 by Semdoctors.
Why Digital Marketing?
The advancement of technology in every field has led us to an era of digitization. Even marketing has become digital. Digital Marketing has changed our lives in a better way. Traditional marketing includes roadside banners, posters, communication through phone, or physically approaching the prospects. Whereas Digital marketing can be done using your phone or laptop from home also. This has opened endless opportunities for brands or business owners to enhance their business in every aspect.
Digital Marketing has so many techniques and strategies that one can use for its own benefit. For your ease, I have broken down the importance of digital marketing into 8 simple points given below.
- Equal Opportunity for every Business and Brand
- Pocket-friendly than Traditional marketing
- Optimized Conversions
- Interaction with Future consumers
- Builds Brand Reputation
- Helps to earn People’s valuable Trust
- Better ROI for your Investments
- Influences audience to take actions
Digital Marketing Examples
Digital marketing is categorized into various components.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Online PR
- Inbound Marketing
Now, let’s discuss some of the above mentioned digital marketing components.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
According to research, 81% of shoppers do search on google whenever they have to buy a product or service before they actually buy it. So, in order to get found in millions of search results, your website should be optimized for search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
Optimizing the website to increase its visibility(ranking) in SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) is what we call SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
SEO can be of three types:
- On-page SEO: On-page SEO optimizes the structure and physical appearance of all the web pages of a website. It includes meta tags, heading tags, title tags, keywords, etc. By analyzing the search volume and relevancy of a keyword, a webpage can be ranked higher than other webpages in the SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages).
- Off-page SEO: Off-Page SEO includes all those things that you do outside of your website. Mainly off-page SEO is based on the backlink generation process, where we have to try to get our web page visible on other websites from the same line of business. The inbound links to our website are called Backlinks. Off-page SEO focusses on a few factors – Number of Backlinks, Domain Authority (depends on Age, Popularity, and Size of your Domain) & Page Rank.
- Technical SEO: Controlling the backend aspects of a website is called Technical SEO. It majorly depends on how your web pages have been coded. The loading speed of your website is an important factor in ranking your website in SERPs. The loading speed depends on how the data on your website is structured. CSS optimization and image compression are two things related to technical SEO.
2. Social Media Marketing
The promotion of your brand via available social media channels is somewhat called Social Media Marketing. Social media platforms are a great way of promoting business, services, and products. But, you should keep one thing in mind i.e. social media platforms are not for selling, they just educate and aware people of your brand or product. You can generate leads & engagement. Eventually, you get potential customers out of the social media platforms.
Some social media channels that you can use for marketing:
To know more regarding social media marketing, as to how it works, what strategies you can build, how much you should spend on, click here.
3. Pay Per Click (PPC)
PPC is a way of increasing website traffic by paying an advertisement publisher every time your ad is clicked. In the SERPs, you must have seen advertisements on Google’s first page, right above the organic search results. Those ads are paid advertisements i.e. you have to pay Google to get your ad displayed on the first page. As the name suggests, you have to pay for every click made by visitors. You can manage your ads through Google AdWords.
Other channels where you can run paid ads are:
- Facebook Ads: Facebook has its specific ads publisher software called Adverts. Here, you can publish an ad (video, image or slideshow) by paying Facebook. The ad is placed in the newsfeed of your target audience and your ad gets impressions and reach.
- Twitter Ads: Paid ads can be run on Twitter also, for tweet engagement and app downloads & to increase website traffic or followers on Twitter.
LinkedIn Sponsored messages: In LinkedIn, you can pay to send messages directly to targeted LinkedIn users based on their professional, salary, industry and background.
4. Content Marketing
Content has been the king whenever we talk of digital marketing. Content plays a crucial role in getting you ranked in search results, engaging the audience to your website, creating awareness and making people understand what your business is all about. It should be unique not copied from any other websites as it is not legally acceptable to use copyrighted content.
So, make sure you write quality and relevant content about your business. Content can be in the form of blogs, articles, newsletters, infographics, pdf, videos, webinars, podcasts, etc.
5. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate Marketing is a type of marketing where you get a commission for promoting someone else’s product and services. There is a specific affiliate link provided by the affiliates for every product that you want to sell. That link is posted on your website or any other channel that you are using for affiliate marketing. Through that affiliate link only, your sales are tracked and your commission is transferred. For example, Amazon has an affiliate program that gives commission on every product that you promote or sell.
6. Email Marketing
Emails are a great way of engaging your target audience. More engagements, more trust will build among your customers and they would become your returning customers. In fact, 80% of B2B and B2C businesses use email marketing to keep in check with their clients and potential customers. You can add a subscribe button onto your website and collect emails from your website visitors. Send them an email every time you post something new to your website.
An Email Marketing Campaign includes:
- Blog Subscription emails
- Follow-up emails
- Welcome message emails
- Promotional emails
7. Online PR
Online PR is similar to Traditional PR, provided that online PR is used digital (online) space. It is a way of maintaining your brand’s online image with the release of digital blogs, and content of different news websites.
The channels that you can use for Online PR include:
- Social Media Reporting: Connecting with social media journalists is a great way to build a relation with the press. This will provide you a lot of media opportunities to secure your hard-earned online image.
- Online Reviews: People’s review affects your online image depending on whether the reviews are good or bad. Reviews tell what people think about your brand.
- Comments: Similar to the people’s reviews, their comments on your website or blog are also a great way of judging whether your brand is good or not. Comments are used to interact with your audience.
8. Inbound Marketing
Inbound Marketing focuses on improving the customers’ buying experience. It is a process of attracting, engaging and converting visitors to customers at every stage of their buying journey. Different digital marketing tools and techniques are used to do inbound marketing. Inbound marketing includes blogging, video content, emails, etc.
What Does a Digital Marketer do?
Digital Marketer is the one that applies his digital marketing skills and executes your marketing strategies in order to ensure your overall business success. The main focus of a digital marketer is to create brand awareness, generate leads and ultimately get conversions.
A Digital Marketer uses his expertise in improving your search engine rankings and running Ad campaigns on different social media channels. The digital marketer not only executes your marketing plans but also measures the company’s performance across different channels. The digital marketer focuses on KPI (Key Performance Indicators) that influence your digital performance. There are several things to be focused on digital marketing, so there is a need for an expert for every specific field. For example, an SEO manager will not do social media marketing. An SEO person’s main focus will be your search engine rankings.
Inbound Marketing vs. Digital Marketing: What is it?
Both Inbound Marketing and Digital marketing looks similar because both are done online and both focus on producing digital content for the audience. But what looks right doesn’t happen to be right always. There are differences in Inbound Marketing and Digital marketing. Let’s see.
There are two methods of marketing, one is Inbound and the other is Outbound. Inbound marketing techniques focus on attracting new prospects, engaging them with your website or blog, and eventually converting them into customers. Whereas Outbound marketing includes tactics of making an impact on the vast audience. In Inbound, we target a specific group of people whereas, in outbound, there is no such audience. Every person whether he is interested or not, relevant to your business or not, is targeted in outbound tactics.
Now, we know what is inbound and outbound marketing. But still, the question persists as to what is digital marketing. So, both inbound and outbound marketing tactics come under digital marketing only. On the other hand, you can say that there are two subtypes of digital marketing tactics – Inbound and Outbound.
If you are doing digital marketing yourself, but not getting desired results. Then, you can give us a chance to do it for you. We at HypeLoud ( Digital Marketing agency) have helped many small businesses like you to grow and eventually get the most out of your marketing efforts. Feel free to contact us here.