A strategic approach towards marketing which focuses on creating contents which are valuable, relevant and consistent enough to attract, is content marketing. They help preserve the audience with clear defined ideas, for having a profitable drive with the increasing customer’s action.
On today’s date, useful and true content gain more eyes than high pitched ideas of products and services. Customer’s connected well and this is how this new strategic way of solving issues gained importance.
Prominent organizations like P&G, John Deere, Microsoft, etc, use well the content marketing approach to reach out to the majority and indulge customers.
Keys reasons to adopt Content marketing
The reasons why content marketing has kept up its pace is due to the increased
- Savings of cost
- Customers with brand loyalty
All these reasons make us realize that Content is not past, it’s the present and future of what marketing demands. It has a valuable space which for informational promotion never exists. Just, for example, we receive emails with varied contents but not all have relevancy and value and this is the reason why they enter the Spam box rather than the inbox.
Investments in Content Marketing
Some of the investments to be made to Content Marketing are:
- Ideas- This creates a direction for where a particular brand seems to reach. A better idea leads to better reach and hence more conversions and creation of audiences.
- Valuable content- This is the utmost requirement to have the engagement of the audience. The reach might be unsuccessful if proper content is not delivered to the customers.
- Relevant data- Relevancy of data is another investment as it takes a lot to research and brings in. One must be assured that what they offer is what they a relevant piece of information and is nowhere meant to fraud the customers.
- Time- Without time none of the above might work. Instead of a hurry, one must make sure to invest invaluable time to create and convert audiences more.
- Timely updates- It might seem expensive but a timely update will help create consciousness among all. It will, in turn, lead to better follow up of a business and brand, etc.
What is content marketing in digital marketing?
Content marketing in Digital marketing is a means to boost sales and have customers engagement altogether. It takes a brand to another level of success by creating content and then using social media to distribute it on varied platforms. This helps to create as well as convert customers. All one needs is to have a concept for making sense to their brand and its audience. The rest will work out with target and creativeness to beat the competition and create and convert the same.
Content Marketing Expenses
The expense one makes in content marketing depends upon factors like the business size, marketing budget, resources availability, goals, etc. But if we talk about having a proper budget which can define the total expense that is to be made, it’s better to know that there is no static budget. No matter how detailed analysis was made to analyze the costs and factors, in the end, it is always preferable to not stick over budget. It takes a refinement of strategy continues to be successful and having a static budget might not lead anywhere. Changes will come. So instead of marking budgets, it’s better to plan where to invest and remain as flexible as one can be to make the reach and engagement of audiences.
Content Marketing ROI
ROI of Content Marketing is a percentage which shows the amount of revenue one gain using Content Marketing in terms of what they spent. ROI is said to be an important measure of the content Marketing success as it is associated with the revenue. But sometimes, money is not the only measure of a successful strategy. Pageviews, Visitors, Shares also become important factors as they show the engagement of the audience with the content shared. These are other factors which show revenue that can be generated through the content shared. There are many content marketing metrics too which matter and give a clear picture of Content marketing ROI.
How to measure the ROI of a Content Marketing Strategy?
Content Marketing- the fundamental tool of Digital Marketing return on investment can be measured by below mentioned 4 steps:
- Calculation of the amount spent on content production- This will include the salary of Content creators, other departments work (if any), images, videos, audios and any other work which was outsourced. In-house content too involves cost which needs to be added while calculating the amount.
- Cost for distribution of content- Any paid promotions through social media or other channels, any tools or software used for creation and distribution of content should all be added up to calculate the cost of distribution.
- Calculate the return received- All sales as a result of content should be added up to calculate the return received as a result of Content marketing. Call to action, this is another means which is to be added herein as this creates a link between revenue and content directly. All of this added together will give the total return earned.
- Calculating ROI of Content Marketing- It is the final stage to calculate the ROI of content marketing strategy. It involves,
“(Return – Investment)/ Investment x 100”
the result obtained will give a clear idea of whether or not the results obtained were worth the spend.
Essential Content Marketing Metrics
There is much essential content marketing metric that can be tracked using more of time and resources but the 7 most important are:
- Traffic- It is one of the easiest means to measure and is called the volume metrics. The more the traffic driven on-page towards a particular content the more popular the content is. Low traffic has no relation with poor content but is an indication that more work is needed over content promotion. Analytics software help see the path of web visitors, which in turn help channeling further content towards the same.
- Time spent on the site- It’s not just about the present. Content marketing involves engaging audiences and making sure to engage them for future too by building trust among the web visitors.
Google Analytics, help provide such information, like Average session duration, which implies the more time spent by people on your site, the more validation of quality is created by the experienced content.
one can check the time spent over the website by having a look over the no. of pages per session. The higher it is, the better it works.
- Third-party link- It’s not necessarily good content might lead to direct conversions. It attracts links to your site too which helps improve the SEO profile making the appearance higher in search.
More traffic gets generated through the high place in SERPs as our contents get read by more people leading to high conversions and better visibility of a brand.
to check the backlinks there are Third-party tools available like Ahrefs Backlink checker, etc.
- Shares- SEO is also boosted by Social shares. It indicates our audience resonation with content assets (a particular one). Likes are a secondary factor while Share holds the first as more shares lead to more brand visibility and content exposure.
There are platforms having own analytics which helps keep track over the content shared and the person who shared? A clear idea of the audience will help us produce more content which can be appealing to them.
- Click through rate- Not all contents are driven intended toward the conversions. It might be possible that it is just a referencing of other resources either through email or blog posts made. It might not use indirect ways but is an indication that the recipients are still engaged. Performance can be well judged through the click-through rates.
In some cases when there is a low click-through rate, it indicates a low-quality content which indicates a reason why more compelling CTAs are to be created.
- Rate of conversion- It is an utmost need that together with the above-mentioned points the rates of conversions are measured too. It helps us see whether or not our content can generate enough conversions. It also helps keep track over “Whether it just clicked and disappearing or whether there were actual leads that were converted”.
Where conversions as goal, content play an important role. Through the conversion funnel, they play an important role in measuring leads, making the creation of content for optimization of conversions essential.
- Conversions assisted- Since decades, this concept has been followed. With the evolvement of the marketing community, there is an emergence of attribution models who helps close the Marketing ROI loop.
For entry of a website visitor, Individual blog post is always helpful. More the frequency of blog publishing or time spent over blogging, the more will be the front doors. Once entered, there is a track overall movements of visitors through a website within a particular session. The blog post started will get an assist if even one of the goals gets converted or completed with which it was started.
Content Marketing Checklist: 5 Steps to Successful Content
The 5 broad steps for successful content are:
- Research and generation of the idea- A proper research into the industry are needed to create content on the same. the success of content depends on, the story, data, and production.
- Validation of idea- A proper validation of idea is needed as sometimes content or idea which is validated as per us is not validated by all. For validation, the idea must be simple, unexpected, must be concrete, must have emotion, credibility, etc.
- Production- Create a design properly. If you can’t, take help but never force out on oneself.
- Promotion- The 3 types of production, Paid, Earned and Owned should all be given importance. One must try to spend equal time on promotion as they do on production.
- Conversions- It is the final step and it might not be that easy to convert a visitor. But one must never give up and start again with retargeting the lists.